Huw acts in all areas of commercial law. He has recently been briefed in:
- shareholder, partnership and joint venture disputes.
- shareholder oppression and directors duties matters.
- Australian Consumer Law and franchising code claims.
- preliminary discovery and privilege related disputes.
Huw’s practice at the bar incorporates general corporate and commercial law, building and construction and international arbitration. He appears in all jurisdictions in Australia and in domestic and international arbitrations.
Huw has acted as counsel in numerous international disputes relating to large scale projects in Australia, Indonesia, and Malaysia. He also continues to appear in a wide range of general construction disputes across a range of Courts and Tribunals across Australia.
Huw recently completed work on:
- a major project-related arbitration involving the Ichthys project led by a team split between London, Perth, Sydney and Melbourne; and
- an unled ACICA arbitration involving an Australian and European company and claims of frustration and force majeure relating to licensing arrangements.
Huw has worked on both ad hoc and institutional arbitrations, including arbitrations under the ICC, SIAC and ACICA rules.
Prior to coming to the bar, Huw worked as a Senior Associate at Ashurst.
He teaches International Dispute Resolution subjects internationally and also teaches at the Leo Cussen Centre for Law. Huw has served as a member of the Vicbar Arbitration Committee and the Commbar Civil Procedure Committee. His work on the Arbitration Committee included assisting in the design of new arbitration schemes in Victoria.
Huw speaks and reads fluent Japanese.